Friday, September 17, 2010

Jay Ghartey - Shining Gold














Jay Ghartey is an up and coming Ghanaian-American singer/songwriter currently working out of NYC.  I first heard about his music through my cousin Jodi's husband Joseph who is his brother/manager.  I've sporadically heard singles released from his album throughout the last six months until finally today I got the full album and gave it a listen.

This dude is dope, and I'm not just saying that because he is in my extended fam.  Blending African drumbeats and rhythms with a distinctly American hip hop/r&b flavor perfectly bridges the gap between contemporary African and Western sounds without seeming as if it's trying to.

The album begins with already popular singles "Me Do Wo" feat Okyeame Kwame and "My Lady", higher energy tracks capturing the vibrance of African music and culture.  As the album progresses it relaxes into softer more romantic tones and this is where Jay's exceptional vocal talent shines through.

My favorite tracks right now are "Shining Gold", "Runaway", "Around the World", and "Waiting for you".  You music heads definitely want to check this one out, you can find the album here on iTunes (Shining Gold).

No comments:

Post a Comment